Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Facebook? Moodle? Open? Closed?


Over at our Podzone site http://podzone.tafesa.edu.au/index.php?id=279 I asked whether TAFE should be using Facebook in a recent podcast. Russ Roach responded with some provocative comments arguing that we should not be using Facebook.

I am not a great fan of Facebook as I don’t like the fact that I have to log in to it to communicate with people, but I can see its appeal and strengths. One thing it does do is allow you to embed media (audio, images, movies) taken from other places on the web. It also allows you to use RSS to bring in or export content. And this is state of the art web. Have a look at this page http://protopage.com/tan_tafesa (not a Facebook page) to see how you can use RSS to manage content on the web and bring it in to a single individual or group portal.

Moodle is good but it isn't quite as porous in interacting with the wider web at the moment, but it will get better.

Russ also says that if TAFE students are allowed to use Facebook they won’t do any work. But what do you mean by students Russ? The average age of a TAFE student is late 30’s….and I have a Facebook account and I’m no slacker! But Russ seems to be saying that Facebook has no place in a course of study. Maybe. But some would argue that Facebook is also an ideal tool to use for your eportfolio. Thoughts anyone?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Perhaps I'm cynical, with the belief that anyone using a Facebook account is of the new age mindset "I have 5000 friends, I'm someone special, now to go get more" etc etc.
Even with the average Tafe age of late 30's, this type of time wasting seems to be popular with all ages.

To me, it's a waste of time, and a unified system using the same technology, but implimented under the educational system, would be better for education. I guess it's the same principle as a sports car, sure you can teach someone how to drive in it, but the temptation to act like a hoon is always going to be there, and always going to be strong.

Perhaps I'm biased in this matter, I'm not sure, but regardless, I feel these are valid points.

Cheers,
Russ

John Nebauer said...

If we try to block access to social software sites because students might waste time on them, then we ought to remove access to web-based e-mail accounts lest they e-mail friends, disable Windows media player lest they listen to music, or talking lest they chatter needlessly, etc etc.

I'm also not a great Facebook fan, but people do use it for actual communication. I know people at uni who organise group study sessions using FB. I know people who have useful, meaningful communication through FB.

A student not doing work can't be dealt with administratively because it's not an administrative problem. It might be a problem of motivation (they may not be here by choice), or of boredom (course might actually not be engaging people) or one of a number of problems. Do we try to actually tackle the problem, or put up some rules which people may try to circumvent and become resentful of?

People learn in a variety of ways. Finding something and playing around with it is a valid way of learning. Indeed it's my perferred method. Giving people the space to do so can provide an excellent learning environment. We need to do that because we want people who have been to TAFE to recommend it to others. If we become known as a group of people who prize rule enforcement above a memorable learning experience is that a good advertisement for us?

Michael said...

Lots more comments on this question at Podzone. - http://podzone.tafesa.edu.au/index.php?id=279#comments